New model idea: is it possible with Granoo?

New model idea: is it possible with Granoo?

willstring
Hello!

I had a new idea for a model and I was wondering if there was a way to do this in Granoo:

See the attached schematic: basically its a thin, deformable membrane with rigid cubes attached to it.  The membrane is relatively compliant (e.g., elastomer).

Is there a straightforward way to do this in Granoo?  E.g., with a shell/plate element that is attached to the DEM cubes?

Thank you again!

Re: New model idea: is it possible with Granoo?

willstring
Hello I just wanted to follow up to bump this posting, do y'all think its possible to do this type of a model in Granoo?

Re: New model idea: is it possible with Granoo?

Damien André
Administrator
Hello, I am not sure that I understand what you want to do, but what I can tell :
 - you can create a thin plate of discrete element linked by cohesive beams to model the shell,
 - after that, you can attach the cubes to the thin shell with cohesive beams.

The main problem is the link between the cube and the shell....

Re: New model idea: is it possible with Granoo?

willstring
Its basically a thin membrane with cubes glued on it.  You bend the plate off axis (e.g., along the diagonal) and some of the cubes hit each other which forces deformation into the membrane whilst the blocks slide along each other.

For the link between the cube and shell, couldn't we just make a 'rigid' link, using another beam element that is very stiff and vertical, to connect the to DOF?

Or do you have a better way to define rigid links between DOFS?

Re: New model idea: is it possible with Granoo?

willstring
Can you make a rigid link between two DOFS in granoo?

Re: New model idea: is it possible with Granoo?

Damien André
Administrator
No, you can't sorry