Particle Breakage Capabilities

wflores55214
This post was updated on .
Hello,

My only DEM experience so far is with LIGGGHTS, and I am searching for another package that can handle brittle particle breakage for a system of particles for crushing applications. Something similar to Rocky DEM would be the dream.  It looks to me like GranOO can do this to an extent; the gallery case Granular sphere fragmentation really piqued my interest. Is it possible to make a particle with internal bonds that could be broken realistically, rather than completely shatter on impact as in that case? It looks like that should be possible, especially comparing to some of the other examples. Is this possible/practical? Would each particle essentially be its own FEM case?

Also, would it be possible to have a copy of the source for the sphere fragmentation example?

Any information that can be provided would be most appreciated.

Thank you!

Re: Particle Breakage Capabilities

Damien André
Administrator
Hello,

wflores55214 wrote
Is it possible to make a particle with internal bonds that could be broken realistically, rather than completely shatter on impact as in that case?
Yes you can

wflores55214 wrote
Would each particle essentially be its own FEM case?
No there is no FEM, just bonds

wflores55214 wrote
Also, would it be possible to have a copy of the source for the sphere fragmentation example?
Yes, please send me an email to damien.andre at unilim.fr

Cheers, Damien

Re: Particle Breakage Capabilities

wflores55214
Damien,

Thanks for the response! I sent you an email. I will try to set up some kind of case and will likely have more questions later.

Thanks.