Problem with PlugIn "_ApplyBrittleFracture"

Problem with PlugIn "_ApplyBrittleFracture"

LE Ba Danh
Hello all,
I have a problem when I use the PlugIn "_ApplyBrittleFracture" for my compression test.

My file.inp:

And the problem shows (when I make: granoo-viewer):

Here is my program:
FractureCompressionTest.gz

Thank you in advance for your help,

Danh

Re: Problem with PlugIn "_ApplyBrittleFracture"

Damien André
Administrator
Hello Danh,
This is a problem from GranOO. It is fixed now.

You need to update your GranOO distribution with 'svn update' and recompile it with 'make' and 'make install'.

It should work now !
kind regards, Damien.

Re: Problem with PlugIn "_ApplyBrittleFracture"

LE Ba Danh
Thank Damien,
The problem was solved.
But, it seems to me that it does not work  the criterion of the rupture in compression (In these PlugIns "_ApplyBrittleFracture" and "_ComputeVirialStress", the failure criterion for tensile stress?).
Here is my PlugIn:
 <PlugIn Id="_ApplyBrittleFracture" FailureTensileStress="0" FailureCompressionStress="10" Set="Cylinder" FailureCriterion="HYDROSTATIC" DisableBondMode="ALL" DeleteDisabledBonds="NO"/>

And the result shows:

My specimen does not break.
 Thank for you help,
Danh

Re: Problem with PlugIn "_ApplyBrittleFracture"

Damien André
Hello,
The "_ApplyBrittleFracture" plugin is no longer maintained. Please update your GranOO's distribution and use the "_ComputeVirialStress" PlugIn as follows :

<PlugIn Id="_ComputeVirialStress" FailureMode="BRITTLE" NeighbourLevel="0" CriterionLaw="s1>10e6 or s3<-100e6"/>

Here, the tensile failure stress is set to 10 MPa and the compressive failure stress is set to 100 MPa.
Note the usage of 's1', 's2', 's3' keywords. They are related to the principal stresses of each discrete element computed with the virial stress method.

This is an experimental feature, please tell me if it works as you expect.
Kind regards, Damien.

Re: Problem with PlugIn "_ApplyBrittleFracture"

LE Ba Danh
Thank Damien,
There is a problem with "make && make install" after update granoo:

Can you correct this problem in granoo.
Best regards,
Danh

Re: Problem with PlugIn "_ApplyBrittleFracture"

Damien André
Administrator
Hello,
This is not a problem from GranOO. This problem comes from your personal installation.
In fact, if you take an attentive look on your log, the "make install" process tries to install GranOO in  "/granoo/install/GranOO/2.0/".

Please check the following :
 - check if this directory exist and if you have the rights for writing in this directory.
 - check your current login (maybe you try to compile granoo under another login)
 - check the installation path (maybe, you move GranOO)

A dirty way to fix this problem is to install GranOO with administrative privileges, a.k.a  "sudo make install"

Kind regards, Damien.

Re: Problem with PlugIn "_ApplyBrittleFracture"

LE Ba Danh
Thank Damien,
 The problem is fixed .
But, it does not exist PlugIn "Util.hpp and Util.cpp" in libUtil (even after update).

Best regards,
Danh

Administrator
Please update also your examples and tools. It should be fixed.

Re: Problem with PlugIn "_ApplyBrittleFracture"

LE Ba Danh
Thank Damien,
It run when I change: #include "GranOO/libDEM/Prop/Util.hpp". You have move "Util.hpp" from "GranOO/libUtil/Util.hpp" to "GranOO/libDEM/Prop/Util.hpp"?
It don't update in Example of Granoo?

Best regards,
Danh

Re: Problem with PlugIn "_ApplyBrittleFracture"

Damien André
Administrator
Hello,

No, I renamed "GranOO/libDEM/Prop/Util.hpp" in "GranOO/libUtil/Prop/String.hpp".
I don't understand why you experienced some troubles. Did you change something in the TensileTest example ?

If yes, be aware, this is not a good usage. If you want to make your own simulation, copy/paste an example from GranOO and change it outside GranOO to avoid any collision when updating with 'svn update'.

To fix the problem by yourself, you can try the following options :
 1- simply remove the line '#include "GranOO/libUtil/Util.hpp"'. If the compilation is right, your problem is fixed.
 2- if it does not work, replace this line by '#include "GranOO/libUtil/String.hpp"'

Kind regards, Damien.

Re: Problem with PlugIn "_ApplyBrittleFracture"

LE Ba Danh
OK, thank my friend,

Danh