Problem with building domain

Re: Problem with building domain

LE Ba Danh
Thank Damien,
The problem comes from my off file.
I use the cad software -> Export your part in *.stl -> use the meshlab to export in *.off format.
I have a problem of unit I think. In  cad software, my unit is "mm", but after import and export by meshlab, the  CookingBook-polyhedron read .off file with unit in "m".
How for meshlab and CookingBook-polyhedron understand unit "mm" of *.stl  file?

Thank you,

Danh

Re: Problem with building domain

Damien André
Administrator
Sorry, I can not help you on this point...

Re: Problem with building domain

Cédric Hubert
Hi Dahn,

Could you share your .stl and .off files ?
The routines that handle polyhedra have already been quite stressed, but I would like to check if its our mistake or a problem with the geometry.

Thanks in advance.
Cédric

Re: Problem with building domain

dxvn818
Hi Danh,

In my case, I scaled the geometry to m before exporting *.off, e.g its value will be 0.001 (m) instead of 1 (mm), then let CookingBook-polyhedron read it.

When I read the *.off file, it contains only numbers without unit information, so I think the scale m or mm depends on the exact value of geometry dimensions you choose to scale before exporting to *off.

Vinh
Do Xuan Vinh Nguyen
PhD Student,
School of Mechanical, Materials, Mechatronic and Biomedical Engineering,
Faculty of Engineering and Information Sciences,
University of Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia

Re: Problem with building domain

tstucky
What was the reason for the inclined angle in dxvn818's domain? I am currently experiencing the same issue with my own domain. Not as severe, but still a problem for my application.
rectangle_compact.inp

Re: Problem with building domain

Damien André
Administrator
Hello, this a common issue for thin domains. This problem disappears if you increase the number of discrete element and/or the thickness of your sample.

DA.

Re: Problem with building domain

Damien André
Administrator
Oups, you asked for the reason.

It comes from the cooking algorithm during the last phase (3). While the boundary shell thickness decreases a rigid body rotation may appear. To be honest, I know when the problem appears but I still don't know why this problem appears for thin domains.

Cheers, Damien.

Re: Problem with building domain

tstucky
Is phase 3 the "Relax" plugin? I have mine's Process attribute set to "No", doesn't that mean it essentially gets skipped?

Re: Problem with building domain

tstucky
So yes, I confirmed Relax is getting skipped. Weirdly enough I just discovered that by removing the Plugin "BuildBoundarySet", the rotation of the domain does not occur.

Re: Problem with building domain

Damien André
Administrator
Ho, thanks I got it. We are wrong. The discrete elements do not rotate ! In fact, this is the bounding shape around the discrete domain that rotate... I will add an option to  prevent it.

Damien.
12