Problem with building domain

dxvn818
Hi all,

Recently, I use granoo-cooker to build a thin plate domain (82 x 12 x 2 mm) and I realize that the discrete elements are not fitted well with the support geometry. The geometry has an inclined angle as the below picture.

I would like to ask whether anybody could share with me the experience in using GranOO for thin plate problem ?

Thank you,
Vinh
Do Xuan Vinh Nguyen
PhD Student,
School of Mechanical, Materials, Mechatronic and Biomedical Engineering,
Faculty of Engineering and Information Sciences,
University of Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia

Re: Problem with building domain

Damien André
Administrator
Hello Vinh,
Can you share with us your cooker input file ?

Thanks, Damien.

Re: Problem with building domain

dxvn818
Hello Damien,

This is my cooker input folder. It is similar to what I built a box.

BuildDomain.gz

Thanks,
Vinh
Do Xuan Vinh Nguyen
PhD Student,
School of Mechanical, Materials, Mechatronic and Biomedical Engineering,
Faculty of Engineering and Information Sciences,
University of Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia

Re: Problem with building domain

dxvn818
Hello all,

And I would like to create the geometry of two coaxial cylinder with different diameters as the below picture, then let granoo-cooker to fill discrete elements in that domain. Is it possible to do that with granoo-cooker ? Could you please give me a hint ?

Thank you,
Vinh
Do Xuan Vinh Nguyen
PhD Student,
School of Mechanical, Materials, Mechatronic and Biomedical Engineering,
Faculty of Engineering and Information Sciences,
University of Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia

Re: Problem with building domain

Cédric Hubert
Administrator
Hi Vinh,

The easiest way is to generate a .off file from the 3D geometry of your specimen.
Then use the tags/2.0/Tool/Cooker/inp/CookingBook-polyhedron.inp example to build your own DEM domain.

Best regards,
Cédric

Re: Problem with building domain

dxvn818
Hi Cédric,

Thanks for your answer. Regarding the generation *.off file, I try creating a geometry with openscad, then export to *.off. However, it will be difficult for complex geometry. Is there any better way to generate *.off file, for example, convert directly from CAD model ?

Thanks,
Vinh
Do Xuan Vinh Nguyen
PhD Student,
School of Mechanical, Materials, Mechatronic and Biomedical Engineering,
Faculty of Engineering and Information Sciences,
University of Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia

Re: Problem with building domain

Cédric Hubert
Administrator
Hi Vinh,

Sure there is!
I've never used OpenSCAD, but according to their documentation, you can directly export your geometry to .off file.

Best regards,
Cédric

Re: Problem with building domain

dxvn818
Hi Cédric,

Yes, I can generate *.OFF file with OpenScad, then use the Plugin as your guide:

<PlugIn Id="_NewSupportShape" Type="Polyhedron" File="./off/coaxial_cylinder.off" ID="Boundary" />

Thank you and Regards,
Vinh
Do Xuan Vinh Nguyen
PhD Student,
School of Mechanical, Materials, Mechatronic and Biomedical Engineering,
Faculty of Engineering and Information Sciences,
University of Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia

Re: Problem with building domain

dxvn818
Hi all,

I use granoo-cooker for building the above figures with *.off generated from OpenScad, however, it seems that the scale of domain affect the results.

The geometry includes three coaxial cylinder with size:

r1 (radius)  =r3 = 30.5 ;  l1 (length) = l3 = 43

r2 = 12.5 ; l2 = 161

The geometry is scaled to milimeter and micro meter size.

a/ Milimeters:

b/ Micrometer:

I attach the case for your refernce:
cylinder.gz

I would like to ask whether we can fix the problem for domain with micro-meter scale ?

Thank you,
Vinh
Do Xuan Vinh Nguyen
PhD Student,
School of Mechanical, Materials, Mechatronic and Biomedical Engineering,
Faculty of Engineering and Information Sciences,
University of Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia

Re: Problem with building domain

Damien André
Administrator
Damn !
If you apply a factor of 1e-6 it seems that numerical becomes high. My advice is build directly sample with the right scale.
Best regards, Damien.

Re: Problem with building domain

dxvn818
Hi Damien,

I have just checked the *.off generated from OpenScad and realized that the numerical error also comes from OpenScad.  It only exports coordinates upto 6 decimal digits, so when I scaled the geometry in OpenScad to micro, it generates incorrect data.

Vinh
Do Xuan Vinh Nguyen
PhD Student,
School of Mechanical, Materials, Mechatronic and Biomedical Engineering,
Faculty of Engineering and Information Sciences,
University of Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia

Re: Problem with building domain

Damien André
Administrator
Hello,
another solution is to use your favorite cad software > Export your part in *.stl > use the free software named "meshlab" to export in *.off format.

Have a nice day, Damien.

Re: Problem with building domain

dxvn818
Hello,

I tried the way Damien suggested with meshlab, and granoo-cooker still does not work well. I think the numerous error now is in granoo-cooker when it reads *.off domain at micro-scale or smaller. However, granoo-cooker can generate and fill domain at micro-scale for the built-in type, such as box. It is so strange.

Vinh
Do Xuan Vinh Nguyen
PhD Student,
School of Mechanical, Materials, Mechatronic and Biomedical Engineering,
Faculty of Engineering and Information Sciences,
University of Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia

Re: Problem with building domain

Cédric Hubert
Administrator
Hi Vinh,

Can you share your .off file so I can try it ?

Cédric

Re: Problem with building domain

dxvn818
Hi Cédric,

Here are the *off files I used. The geometry is scaled in meshlab, then export to *.off.

cylindrical_specimen_micro.off = for domain at micro-scale
cylindrical_specimen_mm.off    = for domain at millimeter scale

cylindrical_specimen_mm.off

cylindrical_specimen_micro.off

Thank you,
Vinh
Do Xuan Vinh Nguyen
PhD Student,
School of Mechanical, Materials, Mechatronic and Biomedical Engineering,
Faculty of Engineering and Information Sciences,
University of Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia

Re: Problem with building domain

Cédric Hubert
Administrator
Vinh,

Seems that we actually have a problem at these scales.
I'll take a look to fix the problem.

Best regards,
Cédric

Re: Problem with building domain

Cédric Hubert
Administrator
Vinh,

As a quick (and dirty) fix, you can modify the tolerance in file libAlgo/PolyhedronCore.cpp, at line 1161.
Replace the 1e-20 by 1e-30; then it should work fine.

I'll make a better fix later.

Let us know if it also work for you.

Thanks for reporting !
Best regards,
Cédric

Re: Problem with building domain

dxvn818
Hi Cédric,

Yes, it works well for me too.

Thanks,
Vinh
Do Xuan Vinh Nguyen
PhD Student,
School of Mechanical, Materials, Mechatronic and Biomedical Engineering,
Faculty of Engineering and Information Sciences,
University of Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia

Re: Problem with building domain

LE Ba Danh
Hello,
I have a problem with CookingBook-polyhedron:

Can you help me?

Thank you,

Danh

Re: Problem with building domain

Damien André
Administrator
Hello Danh,
Please try with one of the off files provided in the "2.0/Tool/Cooker/off/" directory. If it works with this files, it means that the problem comes from your polyhedron. To fix problem with your off mesh file, You can use the "meshlab" software. It has a really good import/export tool.

Good luck, Damien.
12